Here it is folks... my first post-architecture-school project:

...creating a home for myself out of Jack Larimore's 1971 Airstream trailer. Follow along as it comes to life.

(click on images to see em larger)

(and don't forget to check the PAGES)

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A STEW for YOU & BARREL of MONKEYS

Ok. 


Its been 3 months since I posted anything. You know how it goes. Sometimes life puts the ol' Airstream blog on the back burner. The Airstream itself, however, has definitely NOT been on the back burner. Its on the front burner, baby. Well maybe not the front burner. Its been slow cookin' and now things are getting niiiiiiice and juicy. So let me share with you this tasty Airstream stew.


First off, the rusty barrel shower wall has been finally finished. Check it out.






Don't worry - it didn't take the entirety of the past 3 months. But making the wooden trim pieces to cap off the barrel pieces was quite a job. It was fairly straight forward in theory:




But the nuances of its construction ended up being more complex than a barrel of monkeys.









The final stage was nearly a disaster. I was in the middle of glueing the two finished halves together when I realized the barrel shape prevented me from using any clamps in the shop. Oh shit. Glue's setting. I tried some jerry-rigged solution that failed miserably. Oh shit. Glue's setting.


Then I remembered I had seen a stack of old wooden clamps in a barn on the property - they could work. Like a crazed, sweaty wild animal, I ran out of the studio, through the garden and to the barn. Jack saw me and must have wondered where I was running on such a hot morning. The clamps worked. Nice.




With that relief, I transformed back from a wild sweaty animal into subdued sweaty human.

Here's the final product.



(click to see larger)




It is with absolute accuracy and seriousness that I say my bathroom barrel's got a bunghole.


I'll leave it at that.






No comments:

Post a Comment