Here it is folks... my first post-architecture-school project:

...creating a home for myself out of Jack Larimore's 1971 Airstream trailer. Follow along as it comes to life.

(click on images to see em larger)

(and don't forget to check the PAGES)

Monday, April 25, 2011

RUB A DUB TUB

THE TUB... THE SHOWER...


I had one slightly absurd idea stewing since the very moment I heard about this airstream - bring in a cast iron clawfoot bathtub, elevate it a foot off the floor, cut a hole in the roof, and cap it with a cupola so I could have a 360 degree view 
while taking a shower.  

When I arrived, I found that my head touched the ceiling when I stood in the tub. This meant there was a legitimate motive for my shower cupola!



After discussing it with Jack, we settled on the much more reasonable option of lowering the shower into the cavity where the waste water tank was once located. Sigh... no cupola. But lowering a portion of the floor in the airstream was actually a pretty sweet design move in its own right. Plus, we decided to cast a nice custom concrete shower pan.

So you know what that means...

The existing tub's gotta go




...and it went




No comments:

Post a Comment